The local area

Putney Heath was the venue for the 1809 duel between Cabinet ministers George Canning and Lord Castlereagh.

Because of its elevation, from 1796 to 1816 Putney Heath hosted a station in the shutter telegraph chain which connected the Admiralty in London to its naval ships in Portsmouth. This was replaced by a semaphore station which was part of a semaphore line which operated between 1822 and 1847.

Wikipedia link

Comments are closed.